11/07/2014

Friday Face Off #1 - The Red Lip Edition

I am a massive fan of a bold red lip, it is such a classic and sophisticated look and it just makes you feel good about yourself.  I have always struggled with bold lips but I think I can finally say that I have found the perfect shade for me and have found the perfect shade to wear it.

I like to start off with a foundation that gives me enough coverage without looking heavy and cakey because we don't want to take the attention away from the lips or look to done up.  For this I chose my L'oreal True Match Foundation which I loathes for a long time but I have recently learned to love it!  It gives the most perfect finish and makes my skin look naturally flawless and radiant.
To boost coverage in the places I need it, like under my eyes, around my nose, on blemishes etc, I use my trusty Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer.  This is such a cult product and it is something I will always go back to.
To set my base and keep shine at bay, I used my Rimmel Stay Matte Powder.  This is another Holy Grail product and I think matte skin looks perfect paired with a red lip. It adds to the whole vintage glam vibe which I love about red lips.
To give my face a little more dimension and prevent it from looking flat, I use my favourite Nars Laguna Bronzer.  I don't bronze too much, I just focus on defining my cheekbones and nose to make me look a little bit more sculpted.
For blush, I don't often wear any when I'm going for a red lip because sometimes it clashes.  However, if I look a bit pastey and feel that I need a little bit of extra colour, I will add a touch of my NYX Desert Rose Blush because as mentioned in my October Favourites, it gives a subtle and natural flush to the cheeks and goes with any sort of makeup look.
For a tiny bit of glow and to accentuate my contour, I sweep a small amount of my Mac Mineralize Skin Finish in Soft and Gentle.  This gives a little lift to the face and just perks up your complexion with a subtle glow.
After priming my eyes with concealer and powder, I take my absolute favourite eyeshadow palette, the MUA Undressed Palette and create a very simple, natural eye look so we don't overpower the lips. As with the boobs and legs theory, same stands for eyes and lips! Its one or the other, you can only do both in very special circumstances!  I take the shade 'Fawn' which is a light matte brown all over the lid, and then on a fluffy brush, lightly take the darker matte brown shade to add a little definition to the crease.
To finish off the eyes, I do a subtle winged liner, nothing too intense with the Collection Fast Stroke Waterproof Eyeliner which I am currently trialling, and then brighten up my waterline with the Rimmel Scandaleyes Nude Eyeliner.  I then finish off with a slick of my favourite mascara of the moment which is the SEVENTEEN Falsifeye HD Mascara.  If I was feeling fancy, I would add some lashes but on a daily basis, I generally would just stop there for the eyes.
Finally for the star of the show, my new favourite red lip is the Maybelline Color Drama Lip Pencil in the shade 'Light it up'.  These are amazing dupes for the Nars Satin Lip Pencils and the formula of these are on point.  This is such a classic red and I think Maybelline have done an amazing job with these and coming in at just under a fiver, it would be stupid not to give them a go!

Emily xx

No comments:

Post a Comment